Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The Essentials

A few weeks ago I asked my girlfriend if she wanted to accompany a friend of mine and myself on an attempt at the 100 mile wilderness. For those of you who don't know, you'll know that the 100 mile wilderness is a section of the Appalachian Trail located in Maine. It starts just south of Mount Katahdin and runs all the way to Monson without any other access besides a couple of logging roads.

The issue here is that my girlfriend has never done any serious amounts of hiking, she doesn't own hiking boots/shoes, an overnight pack, rain shell, stove or anything. Well I got to thinking what she would absolutely need to get started doing overnight trips. I decided at the very least she needs a solid set of hiking boots/shoes, a largish pack as well as a sleepingbag, a rainshell and a sleeping mat. I figured this would get her started. She doesn't need to worry so much about cookware or a tent as we'll be sharing one.

We'll be going to get her geared up this friday and then heading out for an overnight test run of her new gear to see how she likes it. The site of the test run will be the Bigelow Loop Trail. We'll have to be doing some training for the next upcoming weeks to get ready for the 100 mile wilderness,which I'll be giving more info/updates on soon.

Question of The Day: What's the one piece of non-essential gear that you never leave home without?

1 comment: